Thursday, October 9, 2014

Venezuelan ball begins, Arizona Fall League, and Why Argentina.

There's a football game today, and I want to say that John Moe has absolutely ruined me on football. While it should be because of the comedian/public radio personality's poignant critique of current affairs in football (which he loves, I should point out) on his great sports podcast, Home Dunk.
The reason he's ruined it, that marvelous bastard, is that in preparation for the start of the NFL season, he took on The Tournament of Names, a competition of the team nicknames, literal Hawks verse literal Eagles, etc. So when I see the Colts-Texans games on the schedule for today, I can't help but think of a Texan man, likely with a gun drawn, engaging in a head on brawl with a young, brash horse.

My excitement today is in the true beginning to the winter league system. I mean, yeah, I'm excited about the Arizona games too, but this is one that I've looked on in previous years, and am happy to return to. I'll grant you, while my Spanish was probably better then, my ability to circumnavigate a website in another language was significationly poorer, and their website wasn't as nice as it is now. Also an added bonus is a co-worker whose family is ethnically Venezuelan, Colombian, and Brazilian, has talked about going to see the games and collecting the cards as a kid when they'd be down there for long periods (he's very much American). It looks like all their games are set to run at about 8:40pm ET, and I think there may be some league approved streams out there, so if you're interested, strap on your Google translate and figure out where your loyalty falls.


Arizona Fall League is funky considering I keep thinking "WHY ARE THESE GAMES STARTING SO LATE" and then I found out that apparently that Arizona does not recognize Daylight Savings Time. So yeah. Anyway, tonight, a couple of Marlins, Chad Wallach and John Bohn, are getting the start for Salt River. I'm excited about that.

You've probably noticed, if you've been paying attention to this space, that I've been putting up notes on the Argentinian  league. I recently researched the top 30 IBAF ranked teams, Argentina being one. Argentina's leagues seem to be pretty small, not many broadcasts, at least that I can find info about. Again, the language barrier hurts me. Likewise, I had been researching each country's leagues, I found that Panama's seemed to have been having problems. As it turns out, Panama has many leagues, which I found out by stumbling into the Spanish language wikipedia. So folks: if you know some more info about Panama or Argentina's baseball leagues, and would like to help me out a bit there, I would greatly appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll post what I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment