Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Major means we're kind of a big deal

As I was looking over my list of upcoming games, on the State-side of things, we have new NBA and NHL games starting. Of course a number of those teams are Canadian as well, but you know what I mean. Regardless, those weren't the games on the schedule I'll be following. I know basketball is fairly big--have you seen their playoffs? It's hard to be excluded. The NHL, and hockey in general, is my favorite sport to not give a damn about. I mean this in the sense that I think it's a great sport. I've enjoyed going to hockey games in the past. But I don't follow it, don't have a team, don't think I will. My brother is a huge Bruins fan, and good on him. I have friends that are hockey followers, and honestly, I'd rather see their updates than football updates on Facebook. It's just not my thing, I guess. We'll always have the Mighty Ducks films, hockey.

So anyway, aside from baseball erryday, what could you possibly be excited about, right? Well, soccer. Soccer (or football, as it's called in the civilized world) is my favorite sport to follow aside from baseball. This is the first year I've really followed much beyond the World Cup, even though I've always intended to. Of the teams I've been following, it's been Everton in the EPL, Barcelona FC in La Liga, al-Ittihad (this is my wife's family's team out of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia), and Houston Dynamo of the MLS.

The Dynamo are playing Toronto FC tonight at 7:30 PM ET, and this'll be the 3rd match between the two that I've been privvy to witness. The first time was kind of rough, I believe it started out well enough for the Dynamo, and then Toronto pulled ahead, the match ended 4-2? The next time they tied it up.The Dynamo made a push around the trading deadline, signing on DeMarcus Beasley and getting Luis Gurrido on loan from Olympia to help strengthen the midfield. Definitely the team has seem major improvement since then, and they're trying to sneak their way into the playoffs.

The other game running tonight is with the Portland Timbers and the San Jose Earthquakes. Portland could look to jump Vancouver with a win tonight, so it's important for them to excel over San Jose tonight.

This week begins another International break, which like the MLB, the MLS seems to not care about and just does whatever it wants. Notable that England will be taking on San Marino, which should be a clear win for England, unless it was their national baseball teams going up against each other, in which San Marino would be the clear winner, believe it or not.

The US has a game on Friday against Ecuador, which will be the grand return and departure of Landon Donovan to the US men's team. It's incidentally the only game broadcast on ESPN, as all others are for the Euro 2016, and are of no concern to us Unistadians.

No comments:

Post a Comment